Modified Atmosphere Packing (MAP) is the process whereby food products are stored and/or packaged in a modified form of air that has a reduced content of oxygen.
By replacing the oxygen in the air with an inert gas such as nitrogen, the oxidation rate of the stored produce is greatly reduced while self-life is improved without requiring the product to be treated with any extra chemicals or preservatives.
MAP is generally used to control four main types of micro-organisms: Aerobic Microbes, Anaerobic Microbes, Microaerophilic Microbes and Facultative Anaerobic Microbes.
Because of the food industry’s trend towards reducing the usage of chemicals and preservatives and the ever-increasing demand for fresh food products, modified atmosphere packaging is quickly becoming the industry standard.
One of the most widely used inert gasses for MAP is nitrogen.
Already one of the basic components of air, nitrogen is a safe and trusted solution for creating a hypoxic air mix for the modified atmosphere packaging.
Here are the main food products that benefit from the use of MAP:
- Fresh chilled meats, poultry and fish;
- Cooked meats, poultry and fish;
- Oils – refining of palm and coconut oils;
- Potato chips, corn chips and extruded snacks;
- Spices, pasta and other dried products;
- Pizza dough and bases, Pita Breads, Naan Breads;
- Coffee and tea;
- Grated cheese and other dairy products;
- Powdered milk;
- Fruit juices and wine.
The main exceptions for the use of nitrogen in NAP: raw red meat, raw offal, dark poultry cuts and hard cheese. These products do not benefit from an increased percentage of nitrogen.
By using MAP and respecting the other determining factors of food shelf life such as: storage temperature, quality of raw ingredients, processing method, hygiene grade and packaging materials the packaged/stored food can reach a shelf-time that’s up to 3-4 times longer than standard.
Main benefits of using a FX Prevent – N-Gen – Nitrogen Production unit for modified atmosphere packaging are:
- Extended product shelf-life of stored produce;
- Improved product quality and consistency;
- Increased international export possibilities due to the longer product life;
- Optimal product presentation at point of sale;
- High return on investment because of the equipment quality and efficiency;
- Unmatched energy efficiency for on-site nitrogen extraction.
Thanks to our extensive expertise in air separation and purification systems, we can also deliver the food grade compressed air installation that supplies the nitrogen generators with compressed air.
We also ensure this compressed air installation is compliant with the standards included in ISO 8573-1:2010 so that both the produced compressed air and the hypoxic air generated is food grade.
FX Prevent – N-Gen on-site nitrogen production units have an industry leading extraction efficiency as well as a long life cycle, guaranteeing a high return on investment.